What we publish:
- South African non-fiction, in particular biography, history, business and politics;
- natural history; illustrated; food; lifestyle; and wildlife, pertaining to South Africa, and
- military history.
- Al drie van ons drukname aanvaar ook voorleggings in Afrikaans. Unfortunately, we only publish books in English and Afrikaans. Submissions in any other language will be rejected.
Our submission guidelines are the same across the three imprints.
We only accept fiction submissions once a year. Our next open submissions period for fiction will be communicated well ahead of time. Please diarise these dates and check this website for details then. We will not consider any unsolicited fiction submissions outside of this period.
WE DO NOT PUBLISH THE FOLLOWING:
- children’s and young adult books
- educational and academic books/textbooks
- coffee-table books and photo portfolios
- short stories
- science fiction
- plays or film scripts
- religious or motivational books
Manuscripts submitted in these genres will not be considered and we will not respond to your correspondence.
Please note: we do not take on the distribution and marketing of self-published books.
How to submit a manuscript:
Submissions that do not comply with these guidelines will be discarded.
What we need from you:
- A 200–300 word summary of the manuscript.
- Your contact details.
- Three sample chapters (this is essential and can be any three chapters), or your full manuscript if available.
- Your biographical details, including any previous publications and any educational background or qualifications relevant to your manuscript.
- A detailed table of contents (list of chapters).
The following are not essential, but including them will help us when assessing your manuscript:
- Details of any comparable/competitive books.
- Estimated length of entire manuscript (word count or number of pages).
- Time scale you are working towards: When could the final manuscript be ready?
- For illustrated titles only: Portfolio of photographic/illustrated work, via email or on CD.
We receive many submissions – it will usually take us 2-3 months to assess your proposal. Please be patient.
Where to send your manuscript:
Do not email submissions to other members of staff at Jonathan Ball Publishers or our Customer Care service. This will only delay the submission process.
Submissions can also be sent via post to the following addresses:
Jonathan Ball Publishers
41 Sir Lowry Road
Jonathan Ball Publishers
P.O. Box 43265
If sent by post, please send a copy of the original work. We will only return your manuscript if a self-addressed envelope (SASE) is included.
We do not arrange meetings with authors before receiving a full submission as detailed above.
Follow the guidelines above to have your manuscript assessed as quickly as possible.
For all other permissions, please click here.